Welcome to Arley Parish Council
Arley comprises the two villages of Old Arley and New Arley in North Warwickshire within easy reach of both Nuneaton and Coventry. The Local Authority is North Warwickshire Borough Council (NWBC) in Atherstone with Warwickshire County Council at county level.
Prior to 1900 the area was quiet and rural with Arley colliery opening in 1901. As a result the population increased and the mine continued production until 1968. A new Industrial estate and housing helped Arley to avoid becoming a ‘ghost town’: a fate suffered by many other ex mining villages elsewhere.
Arley is still considered a rural community being some distance from any towns. It has the ‘feel’ of a rural community being surrounded by farms and possessing a quiet atmosphere.
The villages now have a broad mixture of inhabitants either born here or who have moved here because of work. A majority of residents live in New Arley and changing employment patterns since the mine closed has meant that a majority of people now commute outside of the villages to work.
Arley is mentioned in the Doomsday Book in 1086; it was called ‘Arei’ and was one of a number of hamlets in the parish.
Find out more